Why do we need IPv6 ?

The World will soon run out of IP Address. As only 8 to 9 percent of ipv4 addresses were left, and organizations needed to switch to the new standard of ipv6 as quickly as possible.

Currently, Organizations and government agencies in the United States use approximately 60 percent of the allocatable IPv4 address space and the remaining 40 percent is shared by rest of the world.

IPv4, used since 1980s when Internet became public. Was created with space for only a few billion addresses. At that time we’re using internet for only computers but now Human created so many things like cameras, mobile phones, video games which needs Internet access and each require its own IP address.

IPv4 is 32 bits IP address that we use commonly; it can be, or other 32 bits IP addresses. IPv4 can support up to 2^32 addresses, but only 9 percent address are left so IPv6 is developed as a replacement.

IPv6 is 128 bits, can support up to 2^128 addresses to fulfill future needs with better security and network related features.

It’s very big move to implement IPv6, and it need big management task and network operation task… but still we have to implement it in future.

Hope the World soon going to accept IPv6 addresses. So that Every person in the world get Internet Access.

Difference between IPv4 and IPv6:
IPv4 :
IPv4 is 32 bits IP addresses.    
It Support up to 2^32 addresses.
IPSec support is optional.
IPv4 header does not identify packet.
Must be configured either manually or through DHCP.

IPv6 :
IPv6 is 128 bits IP addresses.
It Support up to 2^128 addresses.
IPSec support is required.
IPv6 header contains Flow Label field, which identifies.
Does not require manual configuration or DHCP.


Post a Comment