Files with .pps and .ppt extensions are both created with Microsoft PowerPoint software. A .pps file opens directly as a PowerPoint slide show and automatically closes after the presentation is complete. These files are for presentations only and do not allow any editing. Conversely, .ppt files open in PowerPoint and allow the user to edit and make changes to the presentation slides. Converting a .pps file to a .ppt file is quite simple, does not require any special software and takes just a few minutes to complete with Microsoft PowerPoint
- Make sure the .pps file is saved on your computer in a location that you know how to access easily.
- Open Microsoft PowerPoint. PowerPoint is usually found by accessing the "Start" menu and selecting "All Programs," and then the "Microsoft Office" folder.
- In PowerPoint, go to the "File" menu and select "Open" from the drop-down list. A prompt will appear, asking you which file to open. Browse to the location of the saved .pps file and click the "Open" button.
- From the "File" menu, select "Save As." In the "Save as type" box select "Presentation" from the drop-down list. Choose where you would like to save the .pps file and click the "Save" button. The original .pps file has now been saved to your computer as a .ppt file.
Tips & Warnings
- Those who do not have Microsoft PowerPoint installed can still view .pps slide shows by installing the free Office PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft.